Saturday, June 14, 2008

We're Here!! At the END!!! Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario


The five who rode all the way.



WE MADE IT! Our adventure ended today at Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, Canada. After thirty days of riding with six rest days, and 1,943.5 miles, we reached our final destination. Mike, Preston and Angie, were there to greet me. Wow!!! It's over! Our ride today was the shortest one of the trip, just 28.8 miles. Anne's husband, Ben, rode in with us. We stopped for lunch in Niagara-on-the-Lake and Mike, Preston and Angie met us there. After lunch, I rode on to the hotel with Anne and Ben. Preston was waiting with camera in hand as we rode into the parking lot of the Hilton Garden Inn, and took the pictures (above) of Anne and me, and Laurie and me. We had our closing banquet in a restaurant on the 26th floor of a hotel overlooking Niagara Falls. The view was beyond wonderful! After a great dinner, and my last day of calorie splurges, Laurie closed the trip with a few wild and crazy awards. Over the last five weeks, she has gotten to know us pretty well, and her awards were hilariously appropriate. I got the "Minimalist" award for being the only one without a huge handlebar or trunk bag on my bike, for biking with only one water bottle, then dumping any extra water I had in the last few miles, and a few other things I did to keep my bike light enough to ride up all those hills. We ended the evening with a few songs that some of the riders wrote, and sang to us. Vickie's was my favorite--"Oh, I come from Alabama ......"
I'll be back in a few days with some closing comments on this bike ride to Canada. Mike, the Davidson's, and I are going to be tourist before we fly back to Monroe on Wednesday. Thank you for following along with me.
The top photo is of the five of us who rode every mile of this 1,900+ mile adventure.
Today's ride 28.8 miles, Total miles 1,943.5, 30 riding days, 6 rest days

1 comment:

Small World said...

Yay!!! I'm so proud of you, and I can't wait to hear all about everything! Thanks so much for keeping this blog for us to follow your progress. You are awesome!!!!
--Susan